Communications/Public Relations: Community Relations
COORDINATOR, HOCKEY OPERATIONS - Ed Snider Youth Hockey Foundation (Philadelphia, PA)
Entity: Ed Snider Youth Hockey Foundation (Philadelphia, PA)
Reports To: Director, Hockey Operations
Status/Type: Full-Time; Salaried
General responsibilities include operational support of hockey programming for the Ed Snider Youth Hockey Foundation (Snider Hockey). These responsibilities will include coordination of on-ice and off-ice programming, including supervisory responsibilities and administrative tasks.
Applicant must be reliable and possess both a general willingness to assume any and all jobs and an ability to work in a high profile environment. Attention to detail, teamwork and strong communication skills are critical. Candidates must be able to creatively and enthusiastically work in a fast paced, high volume environment. Strong computer skills are needed. Significant ice hockey experience, as a player and/or coach, is required. A Bachelor’s degree is required.
Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
1. Function as a Rink Coordinator and coach for on-ice & off-ice activities
2. Assist in the recruitment and retention of student participants, interns and volunteers
3. Coordinate, supervise and manage critical facets of Snider Hockey programming such as academic support, life skills and character development curricula, off ice fitness and healthy living initiatives.
4. Working with Snider Hockey staff, interns, and volunteers, identify anticipated equipment and staffing needs and help to ensure adequate equipment and staff is in place for programs
5. Assist in the development of new programming, special events, and communications/public relations activities including: website maintenance; newsletter development; and coordination of player appearances
6. Coordinate the inventory, collection, storage, and distribution of hockey equipment for Snider Hockey programming
7. Manage and coordinate special projects and administrative functions.
8. Evening/weekend duty and travel within Greater Philadelphia & South Jersey is required. Occasional travel throughout North America is possible.
9. Perform all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Intellectual/Social, Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The intellectual/social, physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee is continuously asked to multi-task under time limits. Position requires constant attention to precise details and accuracy of specified standards including: following simple to complex (more than 3 steps) instructions, and concentration which frequently extends beyond 30 minutes at a time. Employees in this role will constantly be in leadership role; this requires directing others either verbally or in writing to complete tasks in prescribed time frame. This position also requires constant use of interpersonal skills including but not limited to: ability to direct/motivate/inform staff and foster collaboration, being able to recognize and resolve conflicts, being able to openly communicate in writing and verbally with clients.
• While performing the essential functions of the job, the employee constantly operates a computer and other office devices such telephones, copy machines, fax machines, etc; occasionally moves about inside the office to access storage areas, cabinets and office machinery; constantly moves about the rinks and event sites before, during and after events to service clients and supervise staff; constantly moves about the ice rink to coach and coordinate programs; constantly communicates via telephone, email and in-person with others to exchange accurate information.
• The essential responsibilities of this position are performed indoors, in ice hockey rinks, and other special event sites (indoor/outdoor in the weather conditions prevalent at the time). The noise level in the work environments can range from moderate to loud during events/programs, and is minimal during non-event/program times.
Communications/Public Relations: Media/Public Relations Servicing
MANAGER OF MARKETING COMMUNICATIONS - Philadelphia Flyers (Philadelphia, PA)
Entity: Philadelphia Flyers
Reports to: Sr. Director, Marketing
Supervises: Marketing Intern
Status/Type: Full-Time; Salary
• Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Communications or related field required
• Minimum of 2-3 years of experience in Marketing, Communications or related field in the greater Philadelphia area required
• Prior experience effectively working with local, regional and national media and developing marketing campaigns
• Must be creative, organized and enthusiastic
• Strong written and verbal communication skills in the English language required
• Ability to make sound decisions independently required
• Ability to multi-task required
• Must be a team player
• Ability to work required nights, weekends and select holidays in addition to traditional business hours
• Plans, develops, executes and measures marketing and publicity campaign strategies focusing on ticket sales, special promotions and key Flyers initiatives
• Develops creative messaging for use in marketing and advertising campaigns (TV, radio, print and digital formats), social media and other written materials
• Builds and maintains strong relationships with media partners, personalities and promotions directors
• Serves as media contact for Flyers business operations and communications (off-ice initiatives)
• Writes press releases and media advisories focusing on off-ice initiatives; secures media coverage of events
• Uses research to build marketing plans, reports and evaluates results of campaigns and events
• Works with Sr. Director, Marketing to design ad campaigns and develop positioning while identifying key targets – including engaging customers and pitching media
• Actively involved in creating tune-in promotions to increase TV and radio ratings
• Plans publicity events together with Marketing Manager to engage customers with a focus on ticket sales, community awareness and charitable endeavors
• Books interviews, appearances and photo opportunities with executive management, players, alumni and Flyers front office