Facility Operations/Security/Event Management: Facility/Venue Management
DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS - Iowa Events Center (Des Moines, IA)
Company: Global Spectrum, L.P.
Reports To: General Manager
Supervises: Operations Manager; Chief Engineer; IT Manager; Exercises direct supervision over supervisory, maintenance, set-up, housekeeping, and technical personnel.
To manage, supervise and coordinate the maintenance and operations of buildings, equipment and grounds for the assigned facility; including the operation and maintenance of the mechanical, electrical and HVAC systems. Provides overall administrative planning, direction, and policies to department managers, assuring the highest quality service program to assure the most efficient operation and servicing of events. Position provides highly responsible staff assistance to the Assistant General Manager and General Manager.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (including, but not limited to…):
• Assume management responsibility for all services and activities involved in the maintenance and operations of assigned facility including HVAC, electrical, mechanical, and plumbing equipment, custodial services, and grounds keeping
• Select, train, motivate and evaluate supervisory staff; provide or coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies; implement discipline and termination procedures
• Plan, direct, coordinate, and review the work plan for facility maintenance and operations; meet with staff to identify and resolve problems; assign work activities, projects and programs; monitor work flow; review and evaluate work products, methods and procedures
• Participate in the development and administration of the Operation budget; forecast of additional funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; monitor and approve expenditures; implement adjustments as necessary
• Oversee the set-up of events; coordinate facility arrangements with concessionaires; direct and monitor the work of contractors, engineers, and architects on building projects
• Order supplies and materials for maintenance programs within budget guidelines; receive and maintain supplies
• Coordinate with county liaison for construction and major projects
• Maintain hazardous materials communication program, material safety data sheets and required records and permits for underground storage tanks; maintain knowledge of changes in pertinent Federal, State and Local regulations
• Responsible for execution of and compliance with Union Contracts
• Develop Capital Budget for Annual, five, ten, fifteen and twenty year plans
• Submit and monitor yearly Capital Budget needs
• Provide excellent customer service assistance to internal and external clients
• Exemplify the How You Doin philosophies
NON ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
• Perform other duties as assigned
• Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college/university with major coursework in Facility Management or related field.
• Minimum of 5 years experience in building maintenance including at least 3 years of supervisory responsibility
• Experience in the repair and maintenance of HVAC or related building systems
• Familiarity with OSHA requirements
• Demonstrate superior interpersonal and organizational skills
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely in the English language, both orally and in writing
• Possess valid driver’s license or have the ability to acquire
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
INTELLECTUAL/SOCIAL, PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The intellectual/social, physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing duties of this job, the employee is continuously asked to multi-task under time constraints and with moderate to high pressure situations. Position requires constant attention to precise details and accuracy of specified standards including: following simple to complex (more than 3 steps) instructions, and concentration which frequently extends beyond 30 minutes at a time. Employee in this role will constantly be in leadership role; this requires directing others either verbally or in writing to complete tasks in prescribed time frame. This position also requires constant use of interpersonal skills including: ability to direct/motivate/inform staff and foster collaboration, being able to recognize and resolve conflicts, being able to openly communicate in writing and verbally with clients.
• While performing duties of this job, the employee occasionally lifts and moves facility equipment and/or tools. Employee will frequently move about inside and outside various areas of the facility before/during/after events to interact with internal/external clients and supervise the work of employees; position will require employee to occasionally bend, stoop, or crouch in order to evaluate and inspect equipment and building infrastructure; employee will as needed operate fork lift, high lift in assessment of and maintenance of the building and equipment. Employee will occasionally be required to identify or match colors/tones of furniture, dance floor, carpet or other items as necessary. Employee will frequently operate a computer and other office devices such as calculators, telephones, copy machines and printers; employee will constantly communicate via telephone, email and in-person with others and exchange accurate information. Employee will occasionally as maintenance, operations, emergency situations or business demands lift up to 75 pounds
• The duties of this position are performed primarily indoors and occasionally outdoors in the weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually minimal to moderate during non-event days and when not operating equipment and moderate to loud during event days when equipment is in operation.